[pmwiki-users] Re: White space indent for pmwiki.org/wiki/TestWS

chr at home.se chr at home.se
Mon Nov 14 09:25:37 CST 2005

On Mon, 14 Nov 2005, Patrick R. Michaud wrote:

> On Mon, Nov 14, 2005 at 12:55:35PM +0100, chr at home.se wrote:
> > Hi Patrick
> >
> > I'd just like to check that indentation based on whitespace is activated
> > for this group:
> >
> > 	http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/TestWS/TestWS
> >
> > since I'd like to start testing/documenating it.

You didn't really answer this, but from the answer below I assume WS
indent indeed is active at pmwiki.org.

> > 	* This
> > 	  should become a single line
>
> It's a bit complicated, but the answer is that PmWiki currently treats
> the ws indent as being a separate (nested but not indented)  block from
> the list item itself.  Another way of thinking of it (and looking at it
> via the HTML output) is that the subsequent lines form separate
> paragraphs from the list item itself.

I thought some more about this, and this type of indentation becomes
rather pointless for me if it doesn't act as a line continuation for the
first line...

> I agree it's a little confusing.  I'm not sure it's easily fixable yet,
> but I'll keep thinking on it.

Ok, let me know if you'd like some help here, perhaps discussing what the
problem is?

Btw, I can see how it'd definitely be useful to easily be able to start a
new paragraph by simply writing something like this:

	* This is a line,
	  where this text goes in the first entry.

	  This line on the other hand is a new paragraph.
	  However, this line also belongs to the new paragraph.

which (I think) ought to render something as follows:

	* This is a line, where this text goes in the first entry

	  This line on the other hand is a new paragraph. However,
          this line also belongs to the new paragraph.

Is this the *intended* behaviour of the white-space indented markup?

/Christian