[pmwiki-users] Sourceforge project for cookbook recipes?

Martin Fick fick at fgm.com
Mon Sep 26 16:19:17 CDT 2005

On Mon, Sep 26, 2005 at 03:48:28PM -0500, Patrick R. Michaud wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 26, 2005 at 04:06:15PM -0400, Martin Fick wrote:
> >
> > I think the current model is pretty good but I do think that
> > some form of version control for uploads would help
> > recipes.  Or shoudl this simply be dealt with by convention
> > -> name all uploaded recipe files with a  version in them:
> > <file>.<version>
>
> For the many folks who are asking for version control of recipes,
> I'm curious to know what the primary use case is going to be?
> Is it mostly to try to let people know when new recipes are available,
> to provide an easy way to revert to a previous version of a recipe,
> or ...?
>
> Pm

Well, for one, I am concerned with losing info.  What if
somone overwrites a recipe file, by accident even?  There is
no way to recover it.  This also begs the question of
integrity a little. How can users trust uploaded recipes?
Anyone can currently replace any recipe wihtout notice.  The
comon maxim is to not download and run software that you
don't trust, but how can users trust any of the recipes
without reviewing them, even if they trust the author since
it might have been falsified since the author uploaded it?

Certainly versions do help identifying updates.  A diff
would allow admins to easily peruse and evaluate updates to
recipes without having to download them.

Versions would also help identify dependent recipes.

-Martin