[pmwiki-users] Disable ? on page link markup

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Wed Sep 28 11:55:06 CDT 2005

On Wed, Sep 28, 2005 at 12:29:31PM -0400, Martin Fick wrote:
> One reason to want to disable the '?' supersrcipt on
> certain non-existing pages is so that you can create a group which
> only has a GroupFooter or GroupHeader in it (GroupB).  This
> group would then be used to link to from another group's
> pages (GroupA) using the
>
> GroupB.{$Name}
>
> markup expecting the GroupFooter or GroupHeader in GroupB to do
> something with the name of the page.  So evne though this
> page would render properly (as is done with Categories), the
> link to this page would show up with the '?' superscript.

In other words, you're wanting PmWiki to somehow magically know
that links to non-existent pages in GroupB should be displayed
without the question mark, while links to non-existent pages in
other groups should display the question mark?

Sounds really complex to administer and to be able to explain to
folks ("links to non-existent pages appear with a question mark
except when they're to pages in the ABC, GHI, or XYZ groups...").

Why not something more straightforward, such as...?

    OtherGroup.NonExistentPage
    %noquest% GroupB.NonExistentPage

Here, %noquest% is being used to suppress the '?' of the second
link.  The CSS to make this happen is

    .noquest a.createlink { display:none; }

as demonstrated at http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/Test/NoQuest .

Pm