[pmwiki-users] Help! Performance problem after server move

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Tue Apr 4 12:25:41 CDT 2006

On Tue, Apr 04, 2006 at 06:07:08PM +0200, Sebastian Siedentopf wrote:
> > I'm told that the application is using 110% of the processor even when
> > "it's just sitting there".
>
> We have same feedback from our provider. It seems that the wiki
> causes a huge amount of processor load. They descripted it the same
> way: it's just sitting there and apache sucks processor power without
> any particular hits being processed.

Well, FWIW, I have the same problem on my server, and I've
spent literally months trying to track it down.  I'm fairly
convinced it's not directly PmWiki's fault, because it happens very
inconsistently.  For more details -- see my message at
http://www.pmichaud.com/pipermail/pmwiki-users/2006-March/025470.html.

I believe it to be a PHP or Apache problem stemming from dropped
connections; i.e., if someone requests a page but hits the
browser's stop button before any of the page is sent, then Apache
seems to get "hung up" and waits forever.  I do know that PmWiki
never gets control again when it happens.

I'll do some more intrusive testing on things and see what I
can come up with.