[pmwiki-users] sorry i english problem with the cookbook : FastSearch

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Thu Aug 17 10:01:14 CDT 2006

On Wed, Aug 16, 2006 at 08:33:05PM -0700, Martin Fick wrote:
> --- "Patrick R. Michaud" <pmichaud at pobox.com> wrote:
> > Actually, I would suggest not using the FastSearch
> > recipe, as PmWiki now has a built-in indexing
> > system which should speed things
> > up already (see the note at the top of the recipe).
>
> Yes, I don't know if it is worth using any more.  I am
> not that intimate with the indexing systems (I
> understand the pagelist indexing, but I don't know how
> the search term indexing works).

Briefly:  The .pageindex file contains a list of
all of the words and links for each page.  So, when
a search term such as "xyz" is entered, PmWiki scans the
.pageindex file to quickly eliminate any candidate pages
that don't have "xyz" in them before doing any complete
page-by-page scans that may otherwise be required (to
check other attributes, permissions, etc.)

> But, ...since you ARE asking about it, does this mean
> that you are not satisfied with the current search
> speeds that you are getting?

It's also worth noting that setting

   $EnablePageListProtect = 0;

can drastically speed up searches, since then PmWiki doesn't
have to check the read permissions of each page.  Some
people have reported a 10x speed improvement.