[pmwiki-users] Group & subgroup behavior

John Rankin john.rankin at affinity.co.nz
Thu Aug 17 17:50:09 CDT 2006

On Friday, 18 August 2006 2:25 AM, Adam Breashears <ABreashears at nyse.com> wrote:

>Is it possible to define groups and their behavior like:
>
>GroupA.subgroupB.thispagenow
>
>Where I can apply different templates to GroupA.subgroupB.X and
>GroupA.subgroupC.X and GroupB.subgroupC.X ?
>
>(I'd also like to apply the cookbook recipie for dividing the Groups into seperate folders
>Also, I know there's a subgroup functional already but can I
>define different behaviors on PageActions for subgroups that are comma delimited?)
>
>Thoughts?

The subgroup / subpage recipe may meet some of your needs.

It uses a Group<dot>Page<comma>Subpage naming convention and
[[,subpage]] markup to add one level of sub-group.

If you create a local/Group.Page.php configuration file, this will load
for all the pages in the Group.Page,Subpage sub-group. So you can
apply customisations at the sub-group level, such as different
templates for different sub-groups.

What is the problem for which you want to use sub-groups as a
preferred solution? PmWiki is so flexible that there may be
other and possibly better ways to solve it. In my experience,
sub-groups work best when used to solve what Wikipedia calls
"the page disambiguation problem" -- pages that naturally
have the same name, but require distinct entries. For example:
Kiwi has at least 3 totally different possible meanings.

You can, for example, use [[!category]] markup to group
pages by category.

Hope this helps.
--
JR