[pmwiki-users] Form Input missing 4 types !!!!

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Mon Aug 28 08:48:46 CDT 2006

On Mon, Aug 28, 2006 at 08:36:17AM -0500, JB wrote:
> > Following PmWikiPhilosophy #3, I'll wait on (:input button:)
> > until someone demonstrates a need for it and a practical way
> > to use it within wiki markup.
>
> I can understand #3, but adding the type "button" would be
> useful for calling javascript.  There is more and more
> ajax stuff that could make use of this.

What will be the syntax for calling javascript?  And
how can we make sure that calling the javascript doesn't
introduce a security hole?

> Cosidering you will have 9 of these 10 types it I feel you
> are too conservative to leave this one out.

PmWikiPhilosophy #3 is at its heart very conservative.  The
comment I hear most often from people is that they're glad that
PmWiki avoids bloat, and we do this by avoiding features that
"might be useful" until a need is actually demonstrated.

In this case (:input button:) has three strikes against it:
   - nobody has demonstrated a place where it's needed
   - it requires JavaScript in order to be usable
   - the requirement for Javascript introduces security issues

Since (:input button:) will require JavaScript *anyway*, it
makes more sense for it to be handled as a local customization/recipe
than for it to appear in the core, and have everyone ask
"okay, how can I use it"?

> And besides that, by putting it in no one will ever bother you
> about it later!

False.  If I put it in, the next set of questions would be "okay,
I see that there's an (:input button:) markup available -- how
can I use it?!?"

> I cannot imagine it is too difficult for
> you to add this.  It is not too different from the submit
> and the reset buttons.

The Javascript aspect makes (:input button:) *very* different
from the submit and reset buttons.