[pmwiki-users] Archiving old/obsolete pages

kjettil kjettil at wanadoo.fr
Thu Aug 31 01:35:22 CDT 2006

Patrick R. Michaud wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 31, 2006 at 01:23:54AM +0200, Thomas -Balu- Walter wrote:
>
>> On Wed, Aug 30, 2006 at 01:32:58PM -0500, Patrick R. Michaud wrote:
>>
>>> Recalling another item previously discussed on this list...
>>> what shall we do to "archive" old pages on pmwiki.org,
>>> such as the old Cookbook-V1 pages?
>>>
>> [...]
>>
>>> Comments or suggestions?
>>>
>> I'd vote for an archive-attribute of some kind. That way you could also
>> have a note on the page that "this page is archived" or something.
>>

> At some level I almost want it to be just a keyword on the page,
> such as (:archived:), and we ignore pages with that keyword on it.

  Looks fine with me.
  This solution resembles how some IT related standards bodies handle
"obsolete" standards. E.g ETSI (http://portal.etsi.org) has three
levels: active, historic(al), withdrawn. See also IETF (www.ietf.org).
  "Historic" means that the standard is no longer (fully) technically
relevant (and may or may not have been replaced or superceded) but may
still be of interest, for historical reasons or for existing commercial
contracts. The standard is identified as "historic" in search results
but is still available for download.
  "Withdrawn" is a stronger form of "historic" in that the standard no
longer has to be nationally implemented (in the European system). The
standard is identified as "withdrawn" in search results but is still
available for download.
  I believe the above three level classification is often applicable to
PmWiki pages, at least for CMS implementations.

kjettil