[pmwiki-users] Archiving old/obsolete pages

Sandy sandy at onebit.ca
Thu Aug 31 13:18:44 CDT 2006

Patrick R. Michaud wrote:

> At some level I almost want it to be just a keyword on the page,
> such as (:archived:), and we ignore pages with that keyword on it.

I prefer this method. Maybe apply it to entire groups as well as
individual pages.

The search page could include an option to "include archived / obsolete
pages".

Reasons:

1. I've got a slew of pmwiki.org pages bookmarked, and it's on my todo
list to go through and see if the nifty feature will be useful. If I get
"page does not exist", it'll be frustrating.

2. Scrolling past the Version One group every time I search for
something takes time. (For that matter, scrolling past the Profiles. Any
chance of putting Documentation and Cookbook groups first?)

3. People using older versions will want to find the documentation. E.g.
MailPosts vs Notify.

4. As stated by someone else, pages that refer to the old one. Not a
problem IF everyone knows about and uses the feature I read about
somewhere that shows all pages that link to the current page. (Be a pain
to do it for more than a few pages at a time, though.)

Sandy