[pmwiki-users] 404 Not Found

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Tue Jan 24 18:11:30 CST 2006

On Tue, Jan 24, 2006 at 04:27:56PM -0700, H. Fox wrote:
> On 1/24/06, Patrick R. Michaud <pmichaud at pobox.com> wrote:
> > So, my first set of questions:
> >   - What should be the contents of Site.PageNotFound?

I've now enabled the new PageNotFound code on pmwiki.org -- feel
free to experiment with it there, and to make improvements/changes
to the Site.PageNotFound page.  The edit password is "quick".

> It should depend on whether the user is authorized to edit or not.

This can be done in Site.PageNotFound using (:if auth edit:).

> There should be an option to put a "Moved
> Permanently" or "Gone" message (or something else from
> http://www.w3.org/Protocols/rfc2616/rfc2616-sec10.html) there.

At the moment changing the status code is available only through
a local customization of $PageNotFoundHeaderFmt, not the wiki page itself.
$PageNotFoundHeaderFmt defaults to "HTTP/1.1 404 Not Found".

> >   - When the page is displayed, should it be using the group, title,
> >     and skin of the requested (non-existent) page or should it use
> >     Site.PageNotFound ?
>
> My gut feeling is to say go with the group, title, and skin of the
> requested (non-existent) page.

A couple of people privately sent me the same response.  Besides, it
just occurred to me that in order for (:if auth edit:) to work this
is what will have to happen.

> > So, my question here is:  What should happen when an incomplete
> > page name is given and PmWiki is unable to resolve the name to
> > an existing page?
>
> Again, it should depend on whether the visitor is an author or not (or
> at least be able to).

For the moment I've decided to not do any special handling of this
situation -- it treats the request as being for a non-existent
page in the $DefaultGroup.

> I'd prefer for the author not to be faced with a decision between
> creating Group.Group and Group.HomePage.  It would be nice to be able
> to choose one of those and have it be sued as the default when an
> author clicks the helpful link to create a group home page.

Feel free to experiment with Site.PageNotFound on pmwiki.org to
get whatever you want.  In general I tend to use Group.Group
over Group.HomePage, but since it'll be in a wikipage it'll be
fairly easy for a site admin to change the default.

Thanks,