[pmwiki-users] paging

Kathryn Andersen kat_lists at katspace.homelinux.org
Fri Jul 28 20:38:15 CDT 2006

On Fri, Jul 28, 2006 at 08:16:07PM -0400, The Editor wrote:
> What exactly do you mean by a paging recipe?  The newpagebox and
> newpageboxplus recipes (in the cookbook) make it easy to allow users
> to create new pages.

No, I don't think that's what he means.

> On 7/28/06, Thomas N. Burg <mail at randgaenge.net> wrote:
> > I'm facing a problem on my wiki site. The users don't create their
> > own new pages but write instead into  an existing page - the
> > participants listing. Now since we expect some 200 participants for
> > that conference http://blogtalk.net I fear I need something like a
> > paging recipe.

I think what he means is that since the participants listing page is
going to have 200 entries on it, it will be huge, and he wants to be
able to break it up so that after so many entries, one has a link to the

> > Any way to achieve that?

Not as you have it set up, I don't think so.
It would be more feasible if you *did* have every participant have their
own separate page, and then use a pagelist to list all the participant
pages.  If you had, say, a Particpants group, and each page-name was the
participant's name, then you could do a few different things:

- List all the partipant pages
  (:pagelist group=Participants name=-Participants:)

- List all the particpant pages in a nice dictionary format using
  http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/Cookbook/DictIndex
  (:pagelist group=Participants name=-Participants order=title fmt=dictindex:)

- Make separate pages to list clumps of participants by the first letter
  of their name; on the main index page, you would have

  * [[IndexA|+]]
  * [[IndexB|+]]

  (and so on)

  And in the IndexA page you would have

  (:pagelist group=Participants name=A* order=title fmt=#title:)

  and so on for the other pages.  This works assuming that the page-name
  is the same as the person's name.

Kathryn Andersen