[pmwiki-users] FAQ broken in latest upgrade

Marc Cooper gmane at auxbuss.com
Fri Jun 9 14:22:24 CDT 2006

Patrick R. Michaud said...
> On Fri, Jun 09, 2006 at 03:21:38PM +0100, Marc Cooper wrote:
> > I just applied v2.1.10 to v.2.1.7 and noticed that the FAQ is broken.
> >
> > It's the line:
> >
> > (:pagelist trail=PmWiki.DocumentationIndex "[[#faq]]" fmt=#includefaq:)
> >
> > Titles are being used as URLs. These look "okay"-ish with the PmWiki
> > skin, but not others - at least it can't be assumed that they will.
> >
> > Personally, I question the use of titles as link. After all, what does
> > it mean? Surely any linked pages should be within the text that the
> > heading heads, not the title itself.
>
> Could you give a specific example of what is "broken"?

Sorry for the previous terse post, but I had to dash out and wanted to
note this before I forgot the details.

A picture speaks a thousand words. See below

> I'm also not sure what you mean by "Titles are being used as URLs"
> -- a "url" is something that looks like http://... or ftp://...
> or the like.  Did you simply mean to say that titles are being
> used as links to other pages?
>
> Can you give an example of a skin where the FAQ page doesn't look
> correct?  (On pmwiki.org you can do things such as
> http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/PmWiki/FAQ?skin=gemini to see how
> the page will look in a different skin.)

Ah! I do this locally, but I didn't realise you had it enabled on
pmwiki.org. I should have guessed, since you are always ahead of the
game ;-)

    http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/PmWiki/FAQ?skin=notsosimple

Ugh!

I'm using the notsosimple skin as the basis of my site, but, being a fan
of typography, I've tidied up the loose ends and the text layout looks
great, but I'm struggling to fix this, though. The above link does
exhibit the worst of the behaviour.

But also see:

http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/PmWiki/FAQ?skin=gemini
http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/PmWiki/FAQ?skin=soma
http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/PmWiki/FAQ?skin=monobook

I've had a little more time to explore the root of the problem and it
sits with the inbuilt >>faq<< wikistyle and pagelist #includefaq format.
I've tidied the div.faq - by adding them to local.css - but I'm stymied
on the "headings" generated by

(:pagelist trail=PmWiki.DocumentationIndex "[[#faq]]" fmt=#includefaq:)

because they don't have a consistent class with which to reference the
"wikilink"s - not that this is ideal.

Looking at

    /Site/PageListTemplates

fmt=#includefaq seems to show that it should produce <h2> elements in
HTML

[[#includefaq]]
!![[{=$FullName}|+]]
>>faq<<
(:include {=$FullName}#faq#faqend self=0:)
>><<
[[#includefaqend]]

but that doesn't seem to be what's happening.

However, I'm new to PmWiki, and certainly don't pretend to understand
its working yet, so I'm probably barking up the wrong tree. It happens
:-|

--
Best,
Marc