[pmwiki-users] Can redirect send 301?

Ryan R. Varick rvarick at gmail.com
Tue Jun 27 00:13:54 CDT 2006

On 6/17/06, Patrick R. Michaud <pmichaud at pobox.com> wrote:

> Use the status= option to (:redirect:) :
>
>     (:redirect OtherPage status=301:)
>
> The documentation didn't mention this option, so I've added it,
> as well as a relevant FAQ entry.

Thanks, that works as expected.  However it leads me to another
question.  When using this, the URL becomes:
http://myserver.com/NewPage?from=OldPage, presumably so that the user
will take note of the fact that they have been redirected.  I wonder,
does this mean that the new URL, when sent in conjunction with the 301
status code, effectively requires the query string?  For example, if
Google happened to come across a page using (:redirect status=301:),
would the new index in its database include the ?from=OldPage options
from now on?

I don't know how your average search spider handles query strings, nor
how important 301 vs. 302 *really* is, so that's why I ask.  Assuming
the average spider *does* respect 301 status codes and *does* include
the full URL it encounters, I suppose I would like to know if there is
a way to tell PmWiki not to append ?from= to redirects.  If I am
misinterpreting something though, please let me know.  Thanks,

Ryan