[pmwiki-users] Putting ".html" extensions onto pages

H. Fox haganfox at users.sourceforge.net
Thu Mar 2 17:18:54 CST 2006

On 3/2/06, Joachim Durchholz <jo at durchholz.org> wrote:
> H. Fox schrieb:
> > On 3/1/06, Joachim Durchholz <jo at durchholz.org> wrote:
> >
> >>I'd recommend against looking what files are there and deciding what to
> >>do later. Say you have a page named LICENSE, and a new version of PmWiki
> >>place a LICENSE file in the installation directory...
> >
> > A wikipage named SomeGroup.LICENSE would not be affected by placing a
> > file named LICENSE in the installation directory.
>
> Sure. How about a group named LICENSE?

It would be a minimal problem, if any at all.  Besides, the filename
would be LICENSE.txt and that wouldn't conflict with a LICENSE.Txt
wikipage.

> Or future changed group/page
> naming conventions

That's what release notes are for.

> - should PmWiki's future path be constrained by
> CleanUrls,

Point #1) It already is.

Point #2) Both solutions are susceptible to a change in naming
conventions.  Take "names can now start with numerals" as an example.

> > I don't see this becoming a problem.  At worst you'd need to add a
> > special rewrite rule.
>
> That would be beyond the capabilities of most PmWiki admins.

That's what the documentation and mailing list are for.

> In your case, I'd place the non-PmWiki content in a different directory,
> and use some URL rewriting and wrapper scripting to map PmWiki into the
> existing URL space (or maybe I'd install PmWiki and map the legacy
> content into PmWiki's URL space via some scripting in config.php -
> serving a HTML page from PHP is a two-liner last time I did it).

It's a lot easier just to use the .htaccess from the new recipe. :-)

> Maybe the different ways to divide up URL space should be listed as
> equally-ranked alternatives on the CleanUrls page.

IMHO adding another equally-ranked paradigm for solving the problem
would make an already-confusing subject even more confusing.  The most
we should do is add a note that points to the divided-up-URL-space
solution on the old page or maybe a newly-created alternate page.

Whatever you decide to do, I hope you don't negate the large amount of
work I've put into the new CleanUrls recipe.

Hagan