[pmwiki-users] wiki farm terminology

Hans design at softflow.co.uk
Mon Mar 20 07:06:03 CST 2006

Monday, March 20, 2006, 12:45:07 PM, Neil wrote:
> Unless I am sadly mistaken, there is only one admin password per
> wiki. There is a farm-wide admin password in farmconfig.php, but it
> is overridden by the admin password in a wiki's config.php file. So
> even if you call me a farm admin, I may not be able to do anything to
> one of the wikis in the farm unless I know its admin password, and it
> is the person with FTP access to its config.php file that sets that
> password.

The original page had some clear instructions for this:

A farm administrator can use the local/farmconfig.php file for
customizations to be applied to all fields within the farm. By
default, farm customizations are performed before any
field-customization files; however, the farm administrator can
override some field-customizations by explicitly calling the field's
config.php files (this effects all fields), as in:

<?php if (!defined('PmWiki')) exit();
# Settings performed before field-customizations
$FarmPubDirUrl = 'http://www.example.com/pmwiki/pub';
$Skin = 'pmwiki-farm';

# load the field's global and per-group customizations
include_once('local/config.php');
include_once('local/pgcust.php');

# Override field customizations here
$EnableUpload = 0;            # disable uploads
?>

So you just need to set the admin password last, after invoking the
local/config.php scripts.

I think this info should not be lost, i don't know why it was removed.

> I say stick with "administrator" and qualify with capabilities - but
> not with the word "farm", because it is not clear what that means.

I am satisfied that you mentioned different setups at least with your
bullet list.

Best,
~Hans