[pmwiki-users] Upgrades for a dumb user

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Thu May 11 12:29:50 CDT 2006

On Thu, May 11, 2006 at 05:36:53PM +0200, kirpi at kirpi.it wrote:
> Yes, limited to ftp, with filezilla.
>
> But then I have many more files I have to move; example: in the pub/
> folder there are some skins I have to add, but (as an example) I
> probably do not want to touch the /guiedit/ content... So I have to
> open the /pub/ folder and pick by hand...
>
> Really, I'm confused.
> Many many files to move by hand... Carefully.
> I'm just afraid that pm did not meant that, and I just undestand wrong.

Quite literally, you can take all of the files of the distribution
and use those to overwrite an existing PmWiki installation.  Since
the distribution does not contain a wiki.d/ directory, or any files
in local/ or cookbook/, none of your local configuration changes or
wiki pages will be overwritten or lost.  A similar argument goes for
skins.

For filezilla, this would mean highlighting all of the files
in the pmwiki-2.1.5 directory on your local computer, and then
dragging them into the folder containing your existing PmWiki
installation.  Filezilla will then overwrite the old versions
with the new ones, while leaving the non-distribution files
(wiki.d/, local/, etc.) intact.

But it's always a good idea to have a backup, first.  (In fact,
it's always a good idea to back up your site regularly as a
general rule, unless you *really* trust your webhosting service.)