[pmwiki-users] Change request: Page save format

EuGeNe eugene at boardkulture.com
Sun May 21 12:36:08 CDT 2006

Joachim Durchholz wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> before I write a PITS entry, I'd like to ask whether anybody is
> interested in this kind of change at all.
>
> The use case is this:
>
> A friend of mine has single-handedly written ~200 pages in his wiki, and
> has just today realized that he has made some systematic spelling and
> structuring errors. The easiest way would be to download the files from
> the wiki.d directory, mass edit them, and upload the results (the wiki
> would be locked against third-party contributions during that time, but
> that would be OK since there are almost no visitors yet).
>
> Now the problem is that PmWiki puts all of the page contents into a
> single line, and while it could be infinitely worse, it's still not too
> suitable for editing with a text editor.
>
> So my question is: is there any general interest in changing the storage
> format so that line breaks are stored as-is?
>
> Regards,
> Jo

Hi Joachim,

It is pretty easy and straightforward to convert from PmWiki format to
an editable format and vice-versa. For an example in Python check:
http://www.3kwa.com/Logbook/20060520. I used it to create 153 new pages
from my previous blogging platform.

I don't think a format change is justified when a few line of code can
do the job when required.

1) Open all files and save the text= content in a editable files after
replacing all %0a with \n or \r\b depending on your editing platform.

2) Edit manually all the files (if it is systematic mis-spelling and
formatting maybe it can be done automatically).

3) Open all edited files and ... (reverse operation)

Cheers,

EuGeNe