[pmwiki-users] How to use RSS instead of mailposts

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Tue May 23 12:27:09 CDT 2006

http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/PmWiki/WebFeeds .

> 3. Can the search / search display be improved so we can find the
> stuff or simply ditch it and replace with google's search within
> pmwiki.org?

I need specifics about how the search display should be improved.

(Saying "make it look like Google" doesn't quite cut it, because
search results in Google are ranked according to page relevance,
in which case I need a formula for ranking page relevance within
PmWiki.  A similar case exists for displaying page excerpts -- I
need some sort of description or algorithm that tells me that given
the search terms "foo", "bar", and "baz", how to choose what portions
of a page to display, and what to do with any markup characters
encountered.  And, of course, anything we add makes search slower
than it already is.)

Replacing pmwiki.org's search with a google search is a possibility,
but also might be very misleading to newcomers, as they expect
Google searches to then be the norm for PmWiki.