[pmwiki-users] pagelist is creating links relative to the current group?

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Wed May 24 10:26:48 CDT 2006

On Wed, May 24, 2006 at 07:01:15AM -0400, Pico wrote:
> Sounds like the groups that are giving your problems may not have
> default home pages, i.e. Group.Group or Group.Home, which is an issue
> that is described in PITS/00736.  Take a look at that page and add your
> vote for the priority.

This has been a long-standing problem that I'd like to solve.

The crux of the problem is that there are multiple possibilities for
a group's "default home page"-- i.e., for a group XYZ the default
home page can be either "XYZ.XYZ" or "XYZ.HomePage".  (Actually, a
site administrator can have any number of default home pages
for a group -- these two are just the PmWiki default.)

So, when generating a link to the "group home" and no group home
page exists, we don't have any real way of knowing what name to
choose, and so far I've been reluctant to impose a choice upon
sites.  Some sites seem to prefer the XYZ.XYZ form of group home,
while others prefer XYZ.HomePage.  (There are situations where each
is more appropriate than the other, which is why PmWiki allows a
choice.)

However, the present situation of having a group home inadvertently
link into the current group is worse than nothing, so we need
to fix it.

Does anyone have an idea about how PmWiki can select an appropriate
name for the group home when no default page exists for the group?
Should we just say that PmWiki always defaults to "XYZ.XYZ" in
this case, or ... ?

----

An alternate approach:  Another approach would be to add a {$GroupUrl}
page variable that references the group home url, analogous to
the existing {$PageUrl}.  The advantage of this approach is that
it works regardless of the name used for group home pages.  The
disadvantages are that it will render as an external link instead
of a page link (i.e., like an InterMap or http: link), and will
have the same look even if the target default page doesn't exist.
For the PmWiki skin this isn't a big difference, but for other
skins it could be somewhat confusing.