[pmwiki-users] pagelist is creating links relative to the current group?

Tegan Dowling tmdowling at gmail.com
Wed May 24 11:18:31 CDT 2006

On 5/24/06, Patrick R. Michaud <pmichaud at pobox.com> wrote:
> On Wed, May 24, 2006 at 07:01:15AM -0400, Pico wrote:
> > Sounds like the groups that are giving your problems may not have
> > default home pages, i.e. Group.Group or Group.Home, which is an issue
> > that is described in PITS/00736.  Take a look at that page and add your
> > vote for the priority.
>
> This has been a long-standing problem that I'd like to solve.
>
> The crux of the problem is that there are multiple possibilities for
> a group's "default home page"-- i.e., for a group XYZ the default
> home page can be either "XYZ.XYZ" or "XYZ.HomePage".  (Actually, a
> site administrator can have any number of default home pages
> for a group -- these two are just the PmWiki default.)
>
> So, when generating a link to the "group home" and no group home
> page exists, we don't have any real way of knowing what name to
> choose, and so far I've been reluctant to impose a choice upon
> sites.  Some sites seem to prefer the XYZ.XYZ form of group home,
> while others prefer XYZ.HomePage.  (There are situations where each
> is more appropriate than the other, which is why PmWiki allows a
> choice.)
>
> However, the present situation of having a group home inadvertently
> link into the current group is worse than nothing, so we need
> to fix it.
>
> Does anyone have an idea about how PmWiki can select an appropriate
> name for the group home when no default page exists for the group?
> Should we just say that PmWiki always defaults to "XYZ.XYZ" in
> this case, or ... ?
>
> ----
>
> An alternate approach:  Another approach would be to add a {$GroupUrl}
> page variable that references the group home url, analogous to
> the existing {$PageUrl}.  The advantage of this approach is that
> it works regardless of the name used for group home pages.  The
> disadvantages are that it will render as an external link instead
> of a page link (i.e., like an InterMap or http: link), and will
> have the same look even if the target default page doesn't exist.
> For the PmWiki skin this isn't a big difference, but for other
> skins it could be somewhat confusing.

Is there not a setting somewhere, where-by an admin gets to choose
HomePage vs GroupName for Group's home?  Shouldn't that determine
where such links point?

Other options:
* If neither XYZ.XYZ nor XYZ.HomePage exists, display as a non-link =
"GroupName"
* If neither XYZ.XYZ nor XYZ.HomePage exists, link to Group.Recent Changes
* If neither XYZ.XYZ nor XYZ.HomePage exists, link to
dynamically-generated pagelist of the Group
* If neither XYZ.XYZ nor XYZ.HomePage exists, *Create* the site's
prefered homepage  (As set by the admin to HomePage or XYZ or
whatever).