[pmwiki-users] PageListVariables

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Tue May 30 18:35:07 CDT 2006

On Tue, May 30, 2006 at 02:23:34PM -0700, Martin Fick wrote:
> I am pondering upgrading my site to use the new built
> in pagelistemplates (I know, pathetic, I am still
> hooked on my old recipe, it is heavily used on my
> site), and perusing the docs I was surpised to find a
> few ommisions.
>
> First off, neither this page:
>   http://pmwiki.org/wiki/PmWiki/PageLists
> nor this page:
>   http://pmwiki.org/wiki/PmWiki/PageVariables
> nor this page:
>   http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/Cookbook/PagelistExplained
> describes the use of the {>$var}, {<$var} or {=$var}
> syntax!

Just a note that unless anyone sees a reason for keeping it,
I think we should deprecate, if not actually remove,
Cookbook.PagelistExplained.  The PmWiki.PageLists page is
(or ought to be) the more up-to-date version.

> Neither does this page:
>   http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/Cookbook/PagelistTemplateSamples
> but at least it is visible there.
>
> My first question is then, where does it belong? If we
> put it on the PageVariables page, it might seem a
> little weird, but the page is closest to a description
> of these types of things.

It's currently described on Site.PageListTemplates, which
is in the "See Also" section of PmWiki.PageLists.  I'm
guessing the information could be added to PmWiki.PageLists,
or perhaps made into a FAQ at the bottom of PmWiki.PageLists
with a link to Site.PageListTemplates.

> My second question is: is there any current way to get
> the pagecount in a pagelist?  In the old recipe the
> page_count, group_count and page_in_group counts were
> available.

These are {$PageCount}, {$GroupCount}, and {$GroupPageCount}.

> Also there was a 'divisible' conditional
> to test whether a number is divisible by another
> number (I know, a little weird, but very usefull).
> [...]  Are these features that you
> deliberately left out or were you unaware of them
> Patrick?

I left them out deliberately, not because I thought they weren't
useful, but because it seemed too "special-case" to commit to
the core just yet.  (I wanted to see if I could think of
a more generic conditional beyond just "divisible".  Actually,
I now that I think about it, there probably is one, but I'll
want to build a test example before I try to explain it. :-)