[pmwiki-users] AuthUser allowing Users to change passwords. without touching Authuser, thus a Form ?

Crisses crisses at kinhost.org
Wed Nov 15 08:04:07 CST 2006

On Nov 14, 2006, at 6:29 PM, Boris Schwarz wrote:

> Hi,
>
> how can i allow users to change their passwords without having to
> edit the AuthUser page and setting the (:encrypt password:) markup.
> Is there a form that will allow them to perform this, similiar to
> HtpasswdForm. I tried using HtpasswdForm, but from what I understood
> this script will only work if AuthUser is set to work with apache
> authentication or am i misunderstanding something?
>
> Thank You
>
> Boris Schwarz

Just to note:  I haven't used the htpasswd authentication.

I believe that you do not need to involve Apache at all to use the
htpasswd authentication mechanisms in PmWiki. I believe it's only a
matter of the file format being used by PmWiki to grab usernames and
password confirmation.

So you should be able to use htpasswd without changes to
your .htaccess or needing access to apache's logs.  If the method of
password encryption is not available to the web user (which is what
PmWiki would be), the method won't work.  If it is accessible to
PmWiki, PmWiki can use an htpasswd formatted file to create users and
passwords.

Alternatively, if you don't mind using a database, there's Cookbook/
AuthUserDBase which allows users to change their passwords, sends
them an email authenticating they are real, etc.

I believe that ZAP may also have user management that allows the user
to change their password.

Crisses