[pmwiki-users] authuser questions

Hans design5 at softflow.co.uk
Wed Nov 29 06:15:19 CST 2006

Wednesday, November 29, 2006, 11:52:00 AM, Hans wrote:

> I want to use Site.AuthUser as much as possible. I prefer to have
> total acces via AuthUser and prevent using =attr, because that doesn't
> give me an overview. Or am I forced to? As far as I understand I can
> not assign a Group.Group to a group of users something like:
@PWST jan, jordi -->> PWST

That is correct. You can't do that.
AuthUser lets you create username-password pairs (login accounts)
and lets you create groups of usernames (authorisation groups).
these you can use in PmWiki's system of controlling page access by
setting attributes to pages (via PageName?action=attr)
or groups (via GroupAttributes?action=attr)
or sitewide via $DefaultPasswords for admin,  attr, edit, read
and upload.
Since the attributes are stored with the page they cannot be managed
from a single password admin page. You would need to use action=attr.

Basically AuthUser gives you a central place to organise users into
groups, but you still need to set attributes for pages or groups to
control access to them. Only having authorisation groups defined makes
it a lot easier, as you won't need to add long lists of usernames into
the attribute page's fields.

There was talk to have all password settings for all pages showing
in one table via a special admin action, but I am not sure if this is
implemented. This could provide you with some overview, even if it
still would not let you change access from one place.

Hope this helps. having groups of wiki pages and groups of users is
the least confusing about the access and password system! Keep asking!

Hans