[pmwiki-users] password reminders, and remembering usernames

R Creighton email_for_rick at yahoo.co.uk
Thu Nov 30 06:08:44 CST 2006

-----Original
Message-----

>> I'd like to make login a little
easier for some of my users who aren't

>> particularly experienced with
computers (and who sometimes forget their

>> username and/or password).

> >Is there a way of doing one or
other of these things:

>> 1. Setting cookies so that the
username is always remembered on any given

> >machine (unless the user
specifically requests otherwise).

>> (I imagine/hope this ought to be
simple, and would be a tremendous help, but

>> I don't know how to achieve it.)

> >2. Setting up a system whereby
emails are stored, and if someone has

>> forgotten their password, they can
automatically have it reset and sent to

>> that email.

> >(I guess this is more complicated -
but does anyone know of such a system

> >being implemented?  I couldn't see anything like that in
CookBook.)

>> Many thanks in advance,

>> Rick.

>ZAP can be used to send password
reminders.  I don't have a snippet up

>at the moment, but have one working on
my live site.  If you are

>interested in using ZAP, I'll see if I
can't update it to work with

>the latest version of ZAP.

>As for #1, I think my maching normally
does that automatically.  Yours doesn't?

>Cheers,

>Caveman

Dear Caveman,

Thanks for that - a couple of follow-ups:

1. Yes, my installation doesn't remember usernames between session (neither on my machine, or other users).  This is true whether you logoff, or just close your browser.  Is there anything I could do to chase down why this is?

2. ZAP sounds good.  I don't know what it is though.  Any example of it working would be very gratefully received.

Thanks again,

Rick.