[pmwiki-users] [Fwd: Newbie-Need seach/replace tool on editing mode]

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Fri Sep 8 16:00:47 CDT 2006

On Fri, Sep 08, 2006 at 10:57:47PM +0200, Pierre wrote:
> What about my question ? Is it so stupid ?? :-[

> Is there any specific reason we don't have a search tool on editing mode ?
> Because when we enter on editing mode, we are always at the top of the
> page; But if the page is very long it is not easy to find the part we
> want to update (unless using vi ;-). A search tool should be really
> appreciated.

HTML doesn't provide a way to do searches of text boxes (textarea's)
in forms.  Some browsers allow it, but most don't.

We could potentially create something in JavaScript, but I think
that'd be a fairly significant amount of work to get to work on
a reasonable set of browsers, and there are some browsers where
it simply can't be made to work.