[pmwiki-users] Supplemental install; swapping versions during beta testing

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Fri Sep 22 08:38:17 CDT 2006

On Fri, Sep 22, 2006 at 12:38:52PM +0000, Pico wrote:
> Anticipating the next round of betas, I was thinking about ways to
> install a new beta for testing on existing wikis while retaining
> the pre-existing install of a prior version. [...]

The easy way to do this is to install the new version in a separate
directory, and for the new version set (in local/config.php):

    $WikiLibDirs = array(&$WikiDir,
      new PageStore('/path/to/existing/wiki.d/{$FullName}'),
      new PageStore('wikilib.d/{$FullName}'));

This lets you test the new version using existing page content
without impacting the existing site or risking modification of
the pages.  (Of course, any recipes or local customizations have to
be installed in the new version as well.)

Then, once you're comfortable that the new version seems to work
as well as the old, it's safe to upgrade the old version (and one
knows of any configuration or page changes that need to be made).