[pmwiki-users] Supplemental install; swapping versions during beta testing

Pico pmwiki at ben-amotz.com
Fri Sep 22 09:51:49 CDT 2006

Patrick R. Michaud <pmichaud <at> pobox.com> writes:

> On Fri, Sep 22, 2006 at 12:38:52PM +0000, Pico wrote:
> > Anticipating the next round of betas, I was thinking about ways to
> > install a new beta for testing on existing wikis while retaining
> > the pre-existing install of a prior version. [...]
>
> The easy way to do this is to install the new version in a separate
> directory, and for the new version set (in local/config.php):
>
>     $WikiLibDirs = array(&$WikiDir,
>       new PageStore('/path/to/existing/wiki.d/{$FullName}'),
>       new PageStore('wikilib.d/{$FullName}'));
>
> This lets you test the new version using existing page content
> without impacting the existing site or risking modification of
> the pages.  (Of course, any recipes or local customizations have to
> be installed in the new version as well.)
>
> Then, once you're comfortable that the new version seems to work
> as well as the old, it's safe to upgrade the old version (and one
> knows of any configuration or page changes that need to be made).

Thanks.  I added this as a FAQ to PmWiki/Upgrades page.

FWIW, PmWiki/Installation appears to be password protected with a different
password (not the default site-wide password)

Pico

- - - -
Ignore this....

The Post Police at gname.org won't accept this reply because "There's much more
quoted text in your article than new. Prune quoted stuff."  Since I want to
retain Pm's answer, I'll add this extra text to to appease the gnomes at gname.