[pmwiki-users] How can I change the group for many pages at once?

Shi Sherebrin pmwiki at share-a-brain.com
Mon Aug 20 02:24:54 CDT 2007

Peter Kay wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I have a bunch of pages (ok, about 12) that are all in the group
> BlogPages (that's right, I'm using SimpleBlog).  I'd like to have some
> way to automagically move all 12 pages (or all pages in the BlogPages
> group, for that matter) into the OldBlogPages group (thus removing them
> from the Blog).

Dear Peter,

I don't have an in-wiki method, although it shouldn't be too hard to
write a recipe for this.

In the past I've successfully moved files from one group to another
simply by changing the group part of the filename.  If it's a one-off
thing, you should be able to do that with a one-liner command (I can
help with that if needed), as long as you want to move *all* the pages
from one group to the other (although RecentChanges might be a problem,
if it contains fully qualified page names).

If you want to periodically do this on an ongoing basis, then perhaps
you should consider reorganizing your pages so that you use a new group
every so often, e.g. BlogPages-2007q1.yyyy-mm-dd and then it would be a
simple matter of rearranging permissions on each group as desired.  You
could perhaps still use BlogPages as a static front-page, which would
simply redirect the user to the current set of blog pages.  Just a
thought...

Shi.