[pmwiki-users] How can I change the group for many pages at once?

Tegan Dowling tmdowling at gmail.com
Fri Aug 24 18:46:40 CDT 2007

On 8/20/07, Shi Sherebrin <pmwiki at share-a-brain.com> wrote:
> Peter Kay wrote:
> > Hello all,
> >
> > I have a bunch of pages (ok, about 12) that are all in the group
> > BlogPages (that's right, I'm using SimpleBlog).  I'd like to have some
> > way to automagically move all 12 pages (or all pages in the BlogPages
> > group, for that matter) into the OldBlogPages group (thus removing them
> > from the Blog).
>
> Dear Peter,
>
> I don't have an in-wiki method, although it shouldn't be too hard to
> write a recipe for this.

Peter: It's probably too late to help you with your task, at least
this time around, but I just thought I'd mention that I include the
Rename recipe -- http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/Cookbook/RenamePage -- in
all of my wiki installations.  It has some serious drawbacks, but the
biggest -- that it doesn't allow you to eliminate a wikigroup
entirely, and that it won't let you rename a page into a group that
doesn't yet exist -- don't apply in your case.

Shi:  If you write code, this is one that has had a start, and no
recent work; maybe you could adopt it.  Other shortcomings are the
fact that it identifies as "links" any text that would, under the most
primitive of rules, qualify as "CamelCase", even if the site has no
wiki-links enabled, and how clumsily it implements the user's
instructions for qualifying the links that it finds, and how it
could-but-doesn't provide an automatic lookup for backlinks to the
page being moved, and it doesn't address the "RecentChanges" links
mentioned above, and it won't process multiple pages at once.

All:  Those gripes don't outweigh the advantages of the recipe, which,
as I said, I install it on all of my wikis -- it's very useful; I just
wish it were easier to use, so I could refer novices to it.

Tegan