[pmwiki-users] PmWiki work directory, re-revisited

Scott Connard connard at dsg-inc.com
Sat Feb 3 16:32:08 CST 2007

> On Sat, Feb 03, 2007 at 10:20:54PM +0100,
> christian.ridderstrom at gmail.com wrote:
>
>> On Sat, 3 Feb 2007, Patrick R. Michaud wrote:
>>
>>> I'd be very interested to hear suggestions for what we should
>>> name this
>>> 'top-level writable directory'.  (In fact, it's my major block at
>>> this
>>> point.)  Ideally it should be something that aids understanding
>>> by new
>>> PmWiki administrators as to the directory's purpose.
>>>

>> How about
>> 	write.d/
>> or even
>> 	writeable.d/
>>
>> But maybe you should write down a simple explanation of the
>> purpose of
>> this directory?  For instance, is it supposed to *not* be accessible
>> directly via the web?
>>

> The purpose of the directory is to be the place where PmWiki
> creates files of various sorts, excluding uploads.  This includes
> a wiki.d/ directory for holding page files, as well as various
> subdirectories (e.g., work.d/) to hold work files that PmWiki
> uses at various times, including flock, pageindex, notifylist,
> PHP session files, etc.
>
> The files within the writable directory are not intended to be
> accessed directly via the web.  It will generally be protected
> by a .htaccess file.  Sites that want to run things in a
> somewhat more secure fashion will be able to set a configuration
> variable to locate the writable directory outside of the normal
> pmwiki/webserver tree.

Why not just have the top directory be wiki.d/ like it is now and
migrate the wiki pages into a pages.d/ subdirectory.  That would be
consistent with what we have now.  In fact the pages.d/ directory
could still be optional as well as the directory-per-group
directories that you've been discussing as well.

Scott.