[pmwiki-users] Japanese language support

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Wed Feb 21 17:49:26 CST 2007

On Thu, Feb 22, 2007 at 08:37:32AM +0900, Kevin wrote:
> Hello All,
>
> I need to build a Wiki site that can display both English and Japanese
> text.  I previously created a site with PMwiki  This page:
>
> http://www.tab-mania.com/YUI/RollingStar
>
> Has Japanese at the bottom half of the page.  On my computer, the
> Japanese text displays properly.  However, If I go to the edit screen
> (the password on this site is "mania") the Japanese text turns into
> code, like this:
>
> 夢にまで見
>
> I tried changing the encoding of the template to Japanese and uploading
> it, but this doesn't help.

For Japanese you'll undoubtedly want to be using utf-8 instead of
iso-8859-1.  Try adding the following near the beginning of your
local/config.php file:

    include_once('scripts/xlpage-utf-8.php');

This will tell PmWiki to use UTF-8 for things, and then the japanese
text will be preserved as japanese text in the edit form.

Some of your existing japanese text may have to be converted to utf-8,
but that will be easier now (when it's just a few pages, or in the
template) than later.