[pmwiki-users] Cookbook subversion repository

sti at pooq.com sti at pooq.com
Fri Jul 20 00:39:31 CDT 2007

Patrick R. Michaud wrote:
> I'm looking into the possibility of building
> a subversion repository for cookbook recipes
> and I have some questions:
>
> 1.  How many recipe developers want this and
>     would use it?

Me! I would!

> 2.  Where should we host it?  Our options:
>     - as part of the PmWiki repository at svn://www.pmwiki.org/
>     - within the PmWiki project at SourceForge
>     - as a separate SourceForge project (e.g., PmWikiCookbook)

I'm not too particular, but I would think that an svn on pmwiki.org makes the
most sense. Certainly it'll be the easiest to find.

> 3.  Any thoughts about how it would be organized?
>     I'm thinking a top-level 'cookbook/' directory,
>     with subdirectories beneath that for each recipe.
>     But I don't quite see that it will be straightforward
>     for people to keep recipes up-to-date by a simple
>     "svn update".

A top-level cookbook directory sounds fine. You would probably also want a
top-level 'skins' directory.

> 4.  How to synchronize changes between the cookbook repository
>     and the online cookbook?

Ideally there would be a new type of attachment or download link (svn: or
svnattach: ?) so that a cookbook author could have downloads happen directly
from the cookbook repository. That way an author could update the code in the
svn and have it automagically be available from the corresponding cookbook page.