[pmwiki-users] 2.2.0: add Site.SiteHeader and Site.SiteFooter

christian.ridderstrom at gmail.com christian.ridderstrom at gmail.com
Sun Jun 17 13:14:47 CDT 2007

On Fri, 15 Jun 2007, Tegan Dowling wrote:

> Yes, Site.SiteHeader would be confusing.  In fact, when you first posted
> this, I thought you were adding something to or renaming the banner
> area, where the logo is. I would not expect a SiteHeader page's content
> to be automagically inserted at the top of each page, as a GroupHeader
> is.

If I try to think as someone who doesn't know any of this previously, I
can't see why its logical for 'GroupHeader' to be automatically inserted
at the top of page, but illogical for 'SiteHeader'...

Maybe the name 'GroupHeader' is a misnomer to begin with? From my
understanding of it's use/meaning, a more precise description would be:

 	A page used as header for all pages in a specific group.

Similarly, for 'SiteHeader', I'd describe it as:

 	A page used as header for all pages in a wiki.

Note that it's not even 'site', but 'wiki'...

Oops... maybe the name 'Site' is only appropriate when used as a common
group for several wikis being served at the same site. Oh well..

Anyway, since this can of worms is already open, I'll throw out some more
or less crazy suggestions (that may *not* be internally consistent!):

 	Wiki.*  or ThisWiki.*
 	- Using 'Wiki' instead of 'Site'... (sigh, probably way to late)

 	$Group.PageHeader and $Group.PageFooter
 	- Instead of the current $Group.GroupHeader and $Group.GroupFooter

 	Site.PageHeader-top		(and: Site.PageFooter-top)
 	- by default included as first/top page header, i.e. before any
           (group)local page header. If 'top' is confusing, 'first' could
           be used instead.

 	Site.PageHeader-bottom		(and: Site.PageFooter-bottom)
 	- by default included as last/bottom page footer, i.e. after
 	  any (group)local page footer. If 'bottom' is confusing,
 	  'last' could be used instead.

 	Site.PageHeader-default
 	- to be used if a group has no other page header defined

 	Site.PageHeader
 	- Page header for pages in the group Site

 	Site.DefaultGroupHeader
 	- to be used if a group has no 'GroupHeader'

/Christian