[pmwiki-users] 2.2.0: add Site.SiteHeader and Site.SiteFooter

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Sun Jun 17 14:06:35 CDT 2007

On Sun, Jun 17, 2007 at 08:14:47PM +0200, christian.ridderstrom at gmail.com wrote:
> Anyway, since this can of worms is already open, I'll throw out some more
> or less crazy suggestions (that may *not* be internally consistent!):
>
> 	Wiki.*  or ThisWiki.*
> 	- Using 'Wiki' instead of 'Site'... (sigh, probably way to late)

Yes, probably too late.  Also, I don't really want to put too much
stock in the word "wiki", as some sites are using PmWiki more as a
web publishing tool than a traditional "wiki".

> 	$Group.PageHeader and $Group.PageFooter
> 	- Instead of the current $Group.GroupHeader and $Group.GroupFooter

Veto.  I've pretty consistently used the term "page header" to refer
to the header that appears at the very top of the HTML output --
i.e., it's what gets turned off when someone says (:noheader:).
In skin templates we also have <!--PageHeaderFmt-->
and <!--PageFooterFmt-->.  So, I really want to avoid the
confusion that will come up by using the same phrase to refer
to different (but very similar) things.

> 	Site.PageHeader-top		(and: Site.PageFooter-top)
>       [...]
> 	Site.PageHeader-bottom		(and: Site.PageFooter-bottom)
>       [...]

Too complex (and too many pages).  A better approach here would probably
be to follow Jon Haupt's comment that AllGroupHeader would be
a fallback for when GroupHeader doesn't exist, instead of
always appearing.  Then a local GroupHeader would be able to completely
control the loading of Site.AllGroupHeader.

> 	Site.DefaultGroupHeader
> 	- to be used if a group has no 'GroupHeader'

This has some merit, instead of AllGroupHeader.