[pmwiki-users] 2.2.0: add Site.SiteHeader and Site.SiteFooter

christian.ridderstrom at gmail.com christian.ridderstrom at gmail.com
Sun Jun 17 14:27:37 CDT 2007

On Sun, 17 Jun 2007, Patrick R. Michaud wrote:

> On Sun, Jun 17, 2007 at 08:14:47PM +0200, christian.ridderstrom at gmail.com wrote:
>> Anyway, since this can of worms is already open, I'll throw out some more
>> or less crazy suggestions (that may *not* be internally consistent!):
>>
>> 	Wiki.*  or ThisWiki.*
>> 	- Using 'Wiki' instead of 'Site'... (sigh, probably way to late)
>
> Yes, probably too late.  Also, I don't really want to put too much stock
> in the word "wiki", as some sites are using PmWiki more as a web
> publishing tool than a traditional "wiki".

I considered that, but concluded that such a site wouldn't advertise a
group such as 'Wiki' (or 'Site') anyway.  Still, it's valid to say that
'wiki' is a kind of mechanism for producing the content that is irrelevant
to someone only reading the site.

>> 	$Group.PageHeader and $Group.PageFooter
>> 	- Instead of the current $Group.GroupHeader and $Group.GroupFooter
>
> Veto.  I've pretty consistently used the term "page header" to refer
> to the header that appears at the very top of the HTML output --
> i.e., it's what gets turned off when someone says (:noheader:).

*sigh* Guess even 'page' is overloaded (wiki page v.s. HTML page).

> Too complex (and too many pages).

Another alternative is to introduce a convention where a single
(Site.)page is used, but using different (anchored) sections from it to
serve different purposes. It could work like this for a page such as
'Site.Header'.

* If none of the special anchors occur, the entire page is included
   before a $Group.GroupHeader. If special anchors occur, only content
   up to the first special anchor is included.

* A section with [[#siteheader_last]]...[[#siteheaderend_last]]
   is included after any $Group.GroupHeader

This might be way more complicated than needed, but better to mention the
alternative now than later.

> A better approach here would probably be to follow Jon Haupt's comment
> that AllGroupHeader would be a fallback for when GroupHeader doesn't
> exist, instead of always appearing.  Then a local GroupHeader would be
> able to completely control the loading of Site.AllGroupHeader.

Either way works. I'm used to having a 'Site.SiteHeader' as well as
$Group.GroupHeader in some/most of the groups.

Actally, 'Site.SiteHeader' could just by default contain

 	(:include {$Group}.GroupHeader :)

and there doesn't have to be a special mechanism for looking for
$Group.GroupHeader. OTOH, then a $Group.GroupHeader cannot disable
'Site.SiteHeader', which may - or may not - be desireable.

Guess it's impossible to guess what will be used and we should make sure
all possibilities can be used.

/Christian