[pmwiki-users] New Recipe: IntuitiveSpacing

Hans design5 at softflow.co.uk
Thu Mar 15 10:44:38 CDT 2007

Thursday, March 15, 2007, 3:17:30 PM, DaveG wrote:

 >> * empty spaces at the beginning of lines are treated as such, not as a
 >>   change to preformatted text.
> Good riddance to that mark-up :) What markup should be used for
> pre-formatted text in now that this is removed?

Markup [@ ... @] always provided preformatted text with tags
<pre class='escaped> ...</pre>

In addition I included a new class 'mono' which can be used to
gives monospaced font: %mono% or as div >>mono<<
This will wrap as normal.

 >> * optionally PmWiki's code and escape markup can be forced to line wrap.
> Not sure I understand the implications of this. Can you provide an example?

code markup @@...@@ and escape markup [@....@] give lines which are by pmwiki
default no-wrap. If they get very wide they may brake the skin layout,
or give horizontal scrolling, which is not too nice.

The recipe can optionally be configured to change this and allow lines
to wrap. This may or may not be desirable by some.
If you want to show programming code it may be better if lines stay
exactly as written, and not be forced to wrap. On the other hand
forcing long code lines to wrap may improve readability and keeps the
skin layout intact. So there are pros and cons, and I wanted to
provide a choice.

Hans