[pmwiki-users] Is there a way to list pages _without_ a category?

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Mon Mar 26 15:11:36 CDT 2007

On Mon, Mar 26, 2007 at 10:03:11PM +0200, christian.ridderstrom at gmail.com wrote:
> On Mon, 26 Mar 2007, Patrick R. Michaud wrote:
> >... (the text searched also includes a list of a page's targets).
>
> Hmm... does this mean that if you have a page called e.g. 'MyGroup.Page',
> and this page contains e.g.
>
> 	Bla bla [[other page]] bla bla
>
> then
>
> 	(:pagelist MyGroup:)
>
> will match 'MyGroup.Page' because it links to MyGroup.OtherPage?

Yes.

> I think I'd be confused by that behaviour...

It's been this way since at least Spring 2002, and possibly
earlier than that.  We did it this way so that someone writing

   [[install(ation)]]ed

would still find "Installation" when doing a search.  (It used
to be that we would also find "installed"... but I think that
possibly no longer works.  At any rate, it doesn't seem to have
confused anyone.  :-)

When/if we implement the ability to choose what the search
terms are matched against, it will be possible to say
"search only the markup" instead of "search markup and targets".

> > So, one could do:
> >
> >   (:pagelist group=Test -"Category.":)
> >
> >and this would show all pages that do not have a link to the category
> >group and that do not contain the string "category." (with the dot, case
> >insensitive).
>
> Can you also search the link targets using e.g. 'Category/'?

No, because targets are always stored in Group.Page format.