[pmwiki-users] Is there a way to list pages _without_ a category?

christian.ridderstrom at gmail.com christian.ridderstrom at gmail.com
Mon Mar 26 15:03:11 CDT 2007

On Mon, 26 Mar 2007, Patrick R. Michaud wrote:

>>>  (:pagelist group=Test name=Ca*, -Category :)
>>
>> This only lists pages not containing the text "Category", not pages not
>> belonging to any category...
>
> Still, this will end up being pretty close (the text searched also includes
> a list of a page's targets).

Hmm... does this mean that if you have a page called e.g. 'MyGroup.Page',
and this page contains e.g.

 	Bla bla [[other page]] bla bla

then

 	(:pagelist MyGroup:)

will match 'MyGroup.Page' because it links to MyGroup.OtherPage?

I think I'd be confused by that behaviour...

>  So, one could do:
>
>    (:pagelist group=Test -"Category.":)
>
> and this would show all pages that do not have a link to the category
> group and that do not contain the string "category." (with the dot, case
> insensitive).

Can you also search the link targets using e.g. 'Category/'?

> Since there aren't likely to be a lot of pages that contain "category.",
> we're left with a list of pages without category links.
>
> Granted, it would be better to be able to write something like
>
>    (:pagelist link=-Category.*:)
>
> but in the meantime using -"Category." is likely to be a useful
> approximation.

I don't need this functionality any time soon, so I'll just wait. If I
used the trick above I don't think I'd remember how it actually works
later on. If I really needed this now, I'd probably go with the convention
that you write something like "Category: " before the actual category
links, and then list pages not containing the text "Category: ".

Best regards
/Christian