[pmwiki-users] New User

Ben Wilson dausha at gmail.com
Wed May 2 18:29:13 CDT 2007

On 5/2/07, Robert Fant <rfant at cox.net> wrote:
[...]
> I'm a teacher and I want to use this with my students, so, I could use some
> help in the following area(s):
>
> I would like to be able to edit all pages (of course) and allow my students
> to edit only certain pages.
> .1 From what I've read, this is somehow done in
> "Groups."  Can someone help me cut to the chase?

A good place to start is at PmWiki:Security,[1] which should help
orient you to how to handle security. The question is whether you want
people to self-register or register only through you. If you want
self-registration, I have started using Cookbook.HtpasswdForm, which
will also ease management of user groups.[2] In a nutshell. visit
{$Group}.GroupHeader?action=attr (where {$Group} is the group name),
to set the passwords. Again, familiarize yourself with PmWiki:Security
pages to see the specifics.

> I only want registered users to be able to do this "editing"  (mentioned
> above).

In terms of letting _only_ registered users edit, try adding the
following bit of code in your local/config.php:[3]

$DefaultPasswords['edit'] = 'id:*';

> Does anyone know of any type of "Quizzing" type plugin?

Perhaps Cookbook:Quiz?[4] Although, I think Moodle is supposed to be
optimize for online education.[5]

> Can't get over how excited I am about this application.
>
> Thanks in advance for any response,

You're quite welcome.
Ben Wilson

[1]: http://pmwiki.org/wiki/PmWiki.Security
[2]: http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/Cookbook/HtpasswdForm
[3]: You may want to check the spelling as I tend to pluralize when I shouldn't.
[4]: http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/Cookbook/Quiz
[5]: http://www.moodle.org

--
Ben Wilson
"Words are the only thing which will last forever" Churchill