[pmwiki-users] Experimental captcha recipe

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Mon May 7 21:48:34 CDT 2007

On Mon, May 07, 2007 at 08:50:00PM -0500, Ben Stallings wrote:
> Any tips on how to make captchas accessible to people with vision
> impairments?  A number of my clients are very sensitive about complying
> with the Americans with Disabilities Act, which is a big part of why
> they hire me, and why I use PmWiki almost exclusively (because it can be
> made to generate such clean, standard-compliant code).  I'd like to be
> able to add captchas, but unless they can be made to have alt text,
> they're off my menu.  Suggestions welcome.

The captcha code allows captchas to be simply displayed as text,
instead of as a graphic.  In fact, this is the default, unless
$EnableCaptchaImage is set.  One can also use {$CaptchaValue}
in the markup.

It's also possible to configure the image's alt= tag to contain
the captcha value.... but this somewhat defeats the purpose of
having a captcha.  :-)

Thanks!