[pmwiki-users] Proposed markup for rowspan in simple tables

kirpi at kirpi.it kirpi at kirpi.it
Mon Aug 25 01:04:50 CDT 2008

> But if we eliminate = because it means heading in Creole and
> others, eliminate _ because they are hard to count visually,
> and reject _n_ as inconsistent with the normal "repeat n times"
> convention, I think it leaves the "least worst" as:
> ||++++text spanning 4 rows||

Not quite.

My feeling is that coupling |= might do.
It is consistent with || and allows for |=|= repetition.
Also, it clearly cannot be confused with the == (heading) and leaves
space to any =sum or other spreadsheet like functions.
It is plain to type on my keyboard and visually recalls what indeed
rowspan is for.

Just in case: why was Peter's caret ^ rejected? That also could work,
either alone (which I would *not* prefere, as it is already widely
used for other purposes like ^2) or better coupled with the table
markup |^

Luigi