[pmwiki-users] Error: It's not possible to reach RSS file ...

Chris Cox ccox at endlessnow.com
Fri Jul 18 22:55:56 CDT 2008

Graham Archer wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am trying to get recipe pmfeed working.
>
> I am using pmwiki-2.2.0-beta63 and pmfeed version 0.7.
>
> I have these three feeds in a test page:
>
> (:pmfeed
> feed='http://newsrss.bbc.co.uk/rss/newsonline_uk_edition/front_page/rss.xml'
> :)
> (:pmfeed feed='http://www.digg.com/rss/index.xml':)
> (:pmfeed :)
>
> Viewing the page shows:
>

> Error: It's not possible to reach RSS file
> http://newsrss.bbc.co.uk/rss/newsonline_uk_edition/front_page/rss.xml ...
> Error: It's not possible to reach RSS file
> http://www.digg.com/rss/index.xml ...
> Error: It's not possible to reach RSS file
> http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/Site/AllRecentChanges?action=rss ...
>
> I can't fathom out what I am doing or not doing that is prevent the feed.

Those error message usually indicate the inability for your pmwiki
server to reach the URL's.  If you have w3m, lynx, wget, curl, etc.
on your server, you might want to test FROM the server the ability
to get at those URLs.

PmFeed has an array called PmFeedAltGet that contains alternative
ways to get at a feed using curl, wget or lynx... you might want
to see if the array values make sense (search the source code) on
your server.  You can always override the array with your own
values where the end result should stream out the URL query result.

You can also try switching things in that array around... to force
certain attempts rather than others.  However, note, a php direct
access will always get tried first the way things are written
today.

The digg url is incorrect, that one you have redirects... use:
http://digg.com/rss/index.xml