[pmwiki-users] Diff/merge-friendly PageStore format (linebreaks)

Martin Fick mogulguy at yahoo.com
Thu Mar 13 17:21:05 CDT 2008

--- Oliver Betz <list_ob at gmx.net> wrote:
> before I submit this as a feature request, I would
> like to get some feedback what other users think:

Certainly, others have requested similar formats.  I
would file a PITS if there isn't one already.

> Therefore I suggest an additional/alternative page
> data file format where line breaks in the page text
> are kept unencoded.

> But I can't estimate whether it's worth the effort.

I do not think that this would be very hard, it
probably '''would''' be worth the effort for some.
Certainly this could be done as a simple recipe, the
PageStore class is designed specifically to make this
easy by overriding it.

> I also have no mature suggestion about possible
> implementations. What about starting continuated
> lines with a special character (let it be
> the space character, asterisk or whatever)?

This would be very easy to implement, but perhaps an
even more useful method would be to use something like
what multipart mimes do, or even more appropriate,
"Here Text" documents in scripts?

Pick a unique terminator (one that is not in the
pagetext) for each page section and use it to
delineate the page text/diff sections instead of
returns.

In the wiki file:

text:----DXCVDN22bn23l
Put your normal page text here

Returns and all!
----DXCVDN22bn23l
diffXXXX:----76d7b8n
First diff here...
----76d7b8n

This would mean that the page text would be stored in
the file exactly the way it is, no encoding
whatsoever, no messy leading characters, only extra
text above and below it. This would mean that text
could be cut and pasted directly to wikifiles!!

Inspiring idea.  If I weren't in the middle of trying
to release two other recipe improvements, I would code
it up.  I can't imagine this being more than a short
evening's work.

-Martin

Hmm, I know that pmwiki encodes a few other characters
besides returns, is there a reason to continue to
encode these?