[pmwiki-users] PMWiki feature questions

Russ pmwiki at russhosting.com
Mon Aug 17 09:43:50 CDT 2009

Hi Dan,

1.  There would be a number of ways to handle the geographic tag ... how
many locales do you envision?  Would you need to create new
locales/locations on the fly?  For example, I am near London, Ontario,
which means my tag could be Port Stanley (my actual community), London
(nearest major city), Southwestern Ontario (region), Ontario
(state/province), or Canada (country).  The narrower the scope of the
tag, the harder it would be to find "nearby" articles.

2.  Using AuthUser (http://pmwiki.org/wiki/PmWiki/AuthUser), you can
specify which "user group" a user belongs to and set site-wide, group or
even page-level read and/or edit access for each group.

3.  I have successfully used the Flash cookbook recipe
(http://pmwiki.org/wiki/Cookbook/Flash) to allow users to embed YouTube
videos with a one-line markup, for example.

4.  PmWiki supports profile pages for authors out of the box (using
~AuthorName would create a link to Profiles.AuthorName, or you can
specify a different target group in your config.php file).  You can
require the author name for each edit or (better yet) if they are logged
in via AuthUser, you can set the author name automatically
(http://pmwiki.org/wiki/Cookbook/RequireAuthor).  So, if my login name
is Author1, then any edit I make will be attributed to Author1 as long
as I am required to be authenticated to do so.

You can use edit templates
(http://pmwiki.org/wiki/Cookbook/EditTemplates) which will provide a
pre-populated edit field to use as a guideline when creating author
(profile) pages, including code for a pagelist of all articles
contributed by that author (for example), or you can use a more complex
form-based option like Fox (http://pmwiki.org/wiki/Cookbook/Fox) to lock
down the group and insure all profiles maintain the same content and layout.

Regards,

Russ