[pmwiki-users] Title and PTV undesired behaviour

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Wed Feb 4 08:51:46 CST 2009

On Wed, Feb 04, 2009 at 01:03:19PM +1100, Kathryn Andersen wrote:
> > If we're to change the default to "first wins", I need
> > a really strong case for doing so.  I don't necessarily
> > agree that "first wins" is automatically more intuitive --
> > it's not more intuitive to me.
>
> I think there's a difference between the naieve expectations (what is
> "intuitive") for PTVs and for the (:title :) directive.
> The case can be made either way for PTVs; "last wins" matches the
> expectations in procedural programming, "first wins" seems more natural
> to others, as has already been said here.
>
> However, I do think that (:title :) is a different case entirely.
> [...]

I agree -- in my messages in this thread I've really only been
focusing on PTVs.

> So whether or not PTVs should be "first wins" or "last wins" I STRONGLY
> support the idea of making the (:title :) directive "first wins".

I think I prefer Oliver Betz' suggestion that a title in a page
always wins out over any titles coming from included pages.
I suspect that if this is the case then order doesn't matter nearly
as much.

> I also am really reluctant for (:title :) to be replaced by a Title: PTV
> for several reasons:
> [...]

Noted, and these are good reasons.