[pmwiki-users] User rating of cookbook recipes

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Tue Jan 20 14:02:08 CST 2009

On Tue, Jan 20, 2009 at 11:08:08AM -0800, pmwiki at 911networks.com wrote:
> On Tue, 20 Jan 2009 18:51:29 +0100
> Oliver Betz <list_ob at gmx.net> wrote:
>
> > And in many cases, there is no "best solution", but you have to
> > weigh your own special preferences.
>
> Actually, this is one of the big problem. Let's take a look at the
> AuthUser. There are so many ways of implementing it, so which one
> is "your own special preference". I don't know. If I don't know
> enough to choose the right one, I am stuck.
> [...]
> I would lot simpler for "average" people to have one recommended way,
> but since we provide flexibility here are the other ways of achieving
> a similar result.

It would be a lot simpler if there _was_ an "average" person using
PmWiki.  My experience has been that there are actually about fix
or six different groups of administrators, each group having their own
expectations about what they want PmWiki to solve and largely
unaware of the expectations of the other groups.  So, everyone
says "we should have one recommended way to do X", but in reality
what happens is that "X" itself is very different from one person
to the next.

I agree that it would greatly help to make AutUser easier to
understand, and we need to do that.  But so far most of the
descriptions I've seen about "the right way to set up AuthUser"
end up being wrong for about 50% of the people looking to use it.

This is a very similar situation to what we experienced with
the CleanUrls recipe (before it was heavily redesigned), where
the descriptions were written with only the needs of individual
sites in mind and not considering the whole picture.