[pmwiki-users] Rating cookbooks

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Sun Jan 25 09:31:45 CST 2009

On Sun, Jan 25, 2009 at 06:54:42AM +0100, Petko Yotov wrote:
> On Saturday 24 January 2009 17:51:15 Petko Yotov wrote:
> >   * {support} Great recipe. [[~John]] January 2, 2009 at 16:31 pm
> >   * {oppose} Didn't work for me (PHP5 required). ~~~~
> >   * {comment} Please note that it requires SQLite. ~~~~
>
> > 1. The keyword in the braces is a markup transformed in small green check,
> > or red "x" and it is visually easy to count or review them.
>
> > Overall, it should be easy for a recipe to count the number of "*
> > {endorse}" or "* +1" that appear in the page.
>
> I am not even sure if a recipe that counts the ratings is required. A reader
> of the recipe page can quickly scan the "Endorsments" section to read
> the "votes" and comments.

This is true if someone is looking at a particular recipe.  But
an admin first encountering the cookbook will often be
overwhelmed by its size, and will want to know "What recipes
are the most popular?"  This is where a summary rating helps.

By way of example, when I purchase items from Amazon or other
other online retailers, I'll often sort-by-rating or
sort-by-bestselling just to get a general idea of what the
marketplace thinks.  Then as I get to individual products I'll
look at individuals comments to get a feel for why they rated
the way they did.  But without that first approximation, I'd
need to check every product's individual ratings, and that'd
be a real pain.