[pmwiki-users] file: urls

Petko Yotov 5ko at 5ko.fr
Mon Jul 13 19:05:48 CDT 2009

On Tuesday 14 July 2009 00:51:22 Robert Matthews wrote:
> I read this thread of messages from several years ago, but still could
> not find an answer to the problem.  In both IE 7 and Firefox 3.5, a
> FILE:// url works fine if typed directly into the browser, but not if
> its on a Pmwiki page.

It is not just on PmWiki pages, but on any internet pages. It is about
security, external websites cannot link to or load local files.

Here is the message in the Error console of Firefox:

  Security Error: Content at http://localhost/wiki/WikiSandbox may not load
                  or link to file://home/petko/.bashrc.

> Any solutions?

If the files are on the same computer as the server, it should be possible to
map their directory somewhere inside the server's document root. And then,
use Path: or other InterMap links.

Thanks,
Petko