[pmwiki-users] How to protect usernames?

Oliver Betz list_ob at gmx.net
Sun Oct 4 13:48:24 CDT 2009

"Kollektivmail ." wrote:

>I recently started to build a wiki with no prior experience of php or css,
>but with help from the cookbook and other documentation it's not that hard..
>But there is one problem I haven't been able to solve:
>
>I would like to have support for users to password-protect a username of
>their choice. But I also want all visitors to be able to view and edit all
>pages without having to set a password.

If I understand correctly, you want to allow public editing but
without login, a user shouldn't be able to enter a username being
already in the list of known names?

>It is to prevent trolls to write weirdness under another users name.
>
>What is the easiest solution?

You could add some text to the usernames of unverified users, e.g. if
the user enters "foobar" as username, you change it to unreg-foobar or
foobar-pub.

Oliver
--
Oliver Betz, Muenchen (oliverbetz.de)