[pmwiki-users] RFC: Indexing categories and links

Peter Bowers pbowers at pobox.com
Sun Mar 7 10:19:02 CST 2010

2010/3/7 Oliver Betz <list_ob at gmx.net>:
> So one could simply change $CategoryGroup e.g. to CategoryLinks and
> adapt the page lists to use this group. The group named "Category" can
> be used to hold the category descriptions and page lists (also from
> the GroupFooter).

So if I want to refer to the category but not join it I put a link to
[[Category/Mycat]].  And if I want this page to join the category then
I use the [[!Mycat]] but instead of referring to [[Category/Mycat]] it
internally refers to [[CategoryLinks/Mycat]]...

It takes a bit of change in thought-processes because I've gotten used
to thinking of the 2 as a link to the same page, but this does solve
the problem and (I believe) could be very easily implemented as a
cookbook with no change to core.  That satisfies people who are
content with the current ambiguity while those who want to
differentiate more precisely are given the possibility of simply
installing a new recipe...

At first response was I didn't like it at all, but the more I read
through it the more I think it solves the problem very elegantly.

The only difficulty that I see with this solution is if someone wants
to list *all* references to this category, whether reference (group:
Category) or membership (group: CategoryLinks -- using !).  Since
pagelists don't currently allow for
    (:pagelist link=CategoryLinks.Mycat,Category.Mycat:)
we would lose that capability.  However, presumably that's a temporary
limitation?  [He said, hopefully... :-) ]

-Peter